Summer Spinning

Summer spinnin' gonna have me a blast. Summer spinnin' bobbins fillin' so fast. Met a wheel crazy for me. Met a fiber soft as can be. Summer spinnin' drafting away to, oh, oh those summer yarns. Tell me more, tell me more how much did you spin? Tell me more, tell me more, what weight was it in?

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Intro and Week 1 in review

Hello all! I'm Pam of Diapers, Dogs, & Doublepoints. I first became interested in spinning when I was a child and came across a spindle & bag of wool at one of those historical recreation parks (Connor Prairie in Indiana). I messed with it for a while, probably couldn't quite do it as well as I would have liked, got frustrated and gave up. heh heh About 6-7 years ago I started back up with a spindle and it clicked. I then decided there was NO WAY I was going to spin enough wool to do anything with that way and bought an Ashford Traditional about 5 yrs ago. About 2 weeks ago I acquired an Ashford Traveller and needless to say I'm done buying anything else for quite some time. Which is fine because like most all of us I have enough fiber to keep me busy for a while.

My goals set in the original post were as follows:
* sort, organize, & figure out exactly what's in my stash (check that off the list!) I'm not sure how it happened but in the course of doing this I also ended up adding to the stash by buying some lovely stuff from Crown Mountain Farms. Oops!
* Spindle 15 minutes per day
* Wheel it 4 hours per week
* Spin, ply, & make something with at least ONE bag o' wool.

My first week? Well, it went much better than I expected. I have a son who is almost 1 year old so I have decided to take full advantage of his naps to get in my spinning (& knitting). I've been trying to spend the first part of each nap attending to those mundane things like housecleaning & laundry then hit the spindle or wheel until he wakes up. Sometimes it's 5 minutes, sometimes it's 30 minutes. (I've been making the rest up after he goes to bed at night) I have been able to spindle 15 minutes a day and although I have not kept track of my wheel spinning I KNOW it's been more than 4 hours... whoo hooo! This week I'm planning on plying the singles I spun the 1st week and continuing to work on the pink & beige mohair stuff I've got on the wheel.

1 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Blogger Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

Way to go, Pam! I've been finding I get much more spinning time in if I just sit down whenever I have a few minutes. Sometimes my sessions are as short as 10 minutes. I find at 20 minutes my back is wanting a break so I rarely spin for more than that at a given time. Taking advantage of nap time seems a great way to do things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home