Summer Spinning

Summer spinnin' gonna have me a blast. Summer spinnin' bobbins fillin' so fast. Met a wheel crazy for me. Met a fiber soft as can be. Summer spinnin' drafting away to, oh, oh those summer yarns. Tell me more, tell me more how much did you spin? Tell me more, tell me more, what weight was it in?

Thursday, June 22, 2006

I Spun! And Intro

I think I've finally figured out how to get some spinning done. Leave home. If I stay here, there are too many distractions and need-to-do's that keep me from my want-to-do's. So today I took my favorite wheel (Florence, a Lendrum DT) to my sister-in-law's house. While she worked on her projects, I spun some gorgeous BFL (that I got here) into fairly consistent singles.
I plan to start working on the second part of my Challenge on Friday (spinning "Grover", a 7.5 pound silver-gray Lincoln/Columbia fleece into enough yarn to make me a sweater). My entire goal is here.

I'm Elisa and I live in Southern California, just north of L.A. I have 4 kids (2 girls, 27 & 21, and 2 boys, 25 & 17), 3 cats, 5 wheels, 2 looms, and 1 great husband. And my first grandchild is due in November. (Happiness! Although my daughter lives in Loveland, CO, so I won't get to see the baby as much as I'd like.) My husband and I are both retired. He is a woodworker and collects wood like I collect fiber; he understands (and enables) my need for stash.

I learned to spin last August and to spindle in November. In addition to spinning, I like to crochet, locker hook, scrapbook, read, and embroider. I thought about learning to knit this year, but there are so many great crochet books out now that I keep putting it off. Maybe next year - or I could join a learn-to-knit challenge. That might work. I definitely work better if I have a goal (and peer pressure).

I'm excited about the Summer Spinning Challenge. I look forward to 'meeting' all of you.


3 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Elisa, it's nice to read about you. You have quite the family! Congratulations on your first grandchild! YOur spinning is gorgeous.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

Hi Elisa! It's great to meet you! If you find yourself with some extra time on your hands when you are out visiting the grandchild give me a holler as I'm only about 15-20 minutes from Loveland. Though I suspect you'll have arms full of baby most of the time :-)

Your singles look great. I was admiring how even you bobbin is filling. Do you have a Woolee Winder? That is on my wishlist, along with a drum carder and some other tools of the trade, LOL!

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Elisa said...

Yep, I have a Woolee Winder and I *love* it. I don't have to stop spinning to move the clip thingee (technical term *grin*) and as a bonus, it really packs the fiber on the bobbin. I get a lot more on there now. It's worth every penny IMHO. Did you see their new spinning wheel in SpinOff? Love it!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home