Summer Spinning

Summer spinnin' gonna have me a blast. Summer spinnin' bobbins fillin' so fast. Met a wheel crazy for me. Met a fiber soft as can be. Summer spinnin' drafting away to, oh, oh those summer yarns. Tell me more, tell me more how much did you spin? Tell me more, tell me more, what weight was it in?

Monday, June 26, 2006

Hi Everyone - I'm Stephanie

Hello fellow spinners. I'm Stephanie, and my blog is Unwind. I'm a fairly new spinner. I purchsed my wheel (Lendrum DT - Lennie) in March. I just finished taking Maggie Casey's beginning spinning class at Estes Park and I learned so much. I spun quite a bit last weekend, but didn't manage to spin very much during the week. I did spin a bit on my new spindle (a Magpie mid-whorl) and I'm finding that my drafting has improved tremendously. I'm actually making fairly even singles on both my spindle and my wheel. I plyed two singles together on Saturday - some corriedale top I spun last weekend and some merino top I spun during my class. The corriedale was much more even than the merino, which I guess shows that I'm getting better. Saturday morning I also spun some wool blend I got from Spunky Eclectic and I am quite pleased with how it looks. I'm going to try to spin 2 more colors (I only have 2 ounces of each from the sample pack) and try a 3-ply. I always go into the week with high hopes for my week nights, but they always seem to get away from me. If things go well, I can hopefully get 2 ounces spun this week, but if not, I'll have a 4-day weekend over the 4th to spin my little heart out. I'm pleased that I managed to spin more than 3 hours last week (by my calculations I spun almost 5 hours!) and I'm so glad to be a part of this group.

Over the holiday weekend I'm also going to try to wash my recently purchased fleece. I'd like to spin some yarn for a One Skein Wonder, but I want to dye some of my fleece for the project. Does anyone have any idea how much fleece I'll need to dye for 150 yards or so of yarn (I imagine I should try for a 3-ply)? Any advice or resources would be most appreciated. Have a great week and happy spinning.

2 Comments:

At 6:30 AM, Blogger Jinann said...

Good luck with the fleece. I attempted to clean a merino fleece....it took me about 4 hours to really clean, pick, and wash only ONE POUND of it! Whew. Then, came the carding....another few hours. Needless to say, I sent the remainder OUT for processing. You're gonna be a busy girl this weekend! Let us know how it turns out!

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Designedly, Kristi said...

You're aiming for a three-ply worsted weight? I suspect 3-4 ounces should do it. I routinely get ~310 yds or so of fingering weight 2-ply from 4 ounces of fiber and I suspect adding one more ply of the same size would give a roughly worsted weight yarn. So to have a bit of padding 4 ounces would get me roughly 200 yds of 3 ply... It's a bit of a guessing game of course...

What color are you going to dye it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home